Kohlrabi Schnitzels


Schnitzels make me happy. That's why I wanted to cook a vegetarian version of it for all of my veggie friends. And I went with kohlrabi. It actually worked pretty well and my family liked it although they do eat meat. 

I used cornflakes along with breadcrumbs to give this meal a special touch. I thought kohlrabi with just panko seemed too boring and what can I say? I really liked it because it give the Schnitzels that incomparable Schnitzel-look.


   

So I decided to serve an avocado salad simply because if we do it healthy - then we do it properly. I like the taste of avocados but I can totally understand if you don't. My husband doesn't like avocado salad so I just prepare some potatoes or french fries. 





print recipe

Kohlrabi Schnitzels
Ingredients
  • 1/2 kohlrabi
  • 1 egg
  • flour, breadcrumbs, cornflakes
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 5 cherry tomatoes
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice
  • 3/4 cups Yoghurt (whole milk)
  • salt, pepper
Instructions
1. Schnitzels: Wash kohlrabi, peel it and cut into little schnitzels. Heat some water with salt on your stove and let the kohlrabi schnitzels cook for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile use a rolling pin to shred the cornflakes and mix it with some breadcrumbs. Then coat each kohlrabi schnitzel with (1) flour, (2) egg, (3) the cornflakes breadcrumbs mix. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the coated kohlrabi schnitzels until evenly browned on both sides. 2. Dip: Cut the garlic clove into very thin bits. You can also use a garlic press. Mix it with the yoghurt and 1 tbsp. lime juice and season it with salt and pepper. 3. Side Dish: Cut onion and tomatoes into slices. Peel the avocado and cut it into cubes. Mix the avocado, tomatoes and onion and season the salad with 1tbsp. lime juice, salt and pepper
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield:

No comments

QUICKTASTY'CS ON YOUTUBE